Sunday, August 11, 2013

Island Life on Palawan


Monday August 12, 2013
Hey Family!

We can get anything we need here on the island (at least where I am at) cause we are close to the city. If you send the package regular mail, the Philippines mail service only charges a flat tax of 50-80 pesos. So the taxes aren't bad on it. Don't worry about that. But if you were to send dhl or some other carrier it could be like 1000+ or even higher, depending on the contents. So just send regular and you will be good to go.

Shoot, I don't know about the dansko shoes. I think the ones I got are 42. 43 should be perfect for him. the problem is that I left those in Manila for when I get transferred back there. So I don't have them with me right now. dang. sorry. Those shoes really do work well though. I have seen the same thing here that kyle has with those shoes. They last forever! so... I don't know what to tell you. I think 43 will fit. That's all I know. sorry.

Ahhh, I love the stake beach parties. Grape stompers huh? I do remember that, it was pretty fun, that sure is a lot of grapes. You know the reason why you guys have so much extra fruit this year? Cause kyle and I plant seeds every day. bam.

I really do enjoy the island while I hike through the jungle and across rivers to appointments. We hike through the jungle and through mud and gunk and flooded places every day which is a lot of fun and makes me feel like I am hiking in the mountains. This week we actually climbed a mountain where a members rambutan tree is at and got some referrals from him. The island is way a lot of fun and we get to experience a lot.

About our investigators. AY! BASTA! (ahhh! enough).... our teaching pool is dried up. All but two or three of our investigators are stagnant, and we are going to have to drop them. We really need to work on finding, Elder Avila is a typical shy Filipino and I can't speak Tagalog. But we had exchanges this week and I know what to do. I exchanged with Elder Belnap (zone leader and Elder Avilas trainer) and he gave me some ideas. So I will apply that this week and we will step forward with faith. Elder Belnap also told me that I can understand Tagalog really really well for someone as fresh as me... but that I need to work on speaking it. Actually, Halos lahat naiintindihan ako. (I understand almost all) especially if it is about the gospel. I am getting better at everyday language too.

Anyways... About our progressing investigators, "R" is going to be baptized Sept 7th, because she is always working. She could have been baptized 2 weeks ago but she can't get a Saturday off to be baptized. So that's what we are working on. It is super hard to get people to go to church here, so so hard. Our church attendance is up and down all the time.

Lots of filipinos love to smoke, like a chimney as dad would say... they really do though. So many word of wisdom problems.

It is so hard to think in English sometimes, weird. I am surrounded by Tagalog all day, every day and I have only been here for 2 and a half months. Well, I am having fun and all is well here.

Love,
Elder Schroeder

P.S. If you could look into transferring to BYU Provo for me, I would like some info on that. I have been thinking about doing that but I am not sure yet. It would be best to transfer before I get home so I get in before the surge of returning missionaries. I don't know if I want to yet though. So we will see, that would be great though. Love you mama!


1. part of the jungle we walk through to an appointment



2. crossing a river to get to an appointment



3. one of our investigators crossing a river on a water buffalo.



2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog after googling Philippines Manila mission :). My son just left last Wednesday and is now in the Manila MTC. It is so nice to see another young man doing so well there. Quite a comfort to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to your son and your family as he serves!!

    ReplyDelete