Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Serving in Tondo...




With President and Sister Ostler 
     

Made it safe and sound after 39 hours... and assigned to Tondo in Manila. (Google it...so you can see where he is serving. Robin)

Hello Family!

Wow it sounds like you all had a pretty good week! Lots of fun and good stories. Yeah so my flight was interesting. I just slept in the airport in LA. It wasn't that bad. And yeah I was on the flight going from LA to Tokyo at 1:30 am. I am doing pretty well adjusting to the time. I just have random bouts where I feel really strange and a little dizzy but it wears off. Last night was the first night were I got some good sleep. I kept waking up in the middle of the night. A few more days and I'll be ready to roll.

My travels were pretty regular. I talked to a few people about the Church. A girl who thought drugs were philosophical, a rich Filipino, and several other nice Filipinos. Nothing to out of the ordinary though. I got my luggage fine. I made sure the airlines double and triple checked my luggage. And yeah! I had a pretty good 5 o'clock shadow going by the time I arrived.  I wasn't too wiped out when I got there. I was able to sleep a ton on the planes and while I was waiting around.

President had originally intended for me to send a quick email home but we got busy and I didn't end up emailing. President actually didn't end up picking me up since my schedule got all flipped around. What ended up happening was President Trask (the MTC president) and church travel were the first ones there to get me. Then as we were walking out we got intercepted by the assistants. Apparently there was a gap in communication and they sort of ended up fighting for me cause the MTC was apparently supposed to have me for 5 days. We got it worked out though and I ended up going with the Assistants. So Saturday, I worked with them and slept over at their apartment. Sunday, I went over to the mission home and had a good long talk with President. He said he wanted to meet me before he decided on an area. So then I had a few bowls of cereal while he made his decision.

Sunday I got my new companion. Elder Dodini from Gilbert, Arizona. Yes, I told him that Summer lives in Queen Creek. He said that he thinks his sister just moved there. He seems like a really good elder. Hard working but not too robotic. He is really excited to have an American companion. Our area we are assigned in is actually probably the roughest area in the whole Philippines. It is arguable. We will be safe though so no worries. I am pretty sure I can outrun Elder Dodini haha...Just kidding. Anyways, I heard the ward is nice but I haven't had the chance to meet many members yet. We are having a hard time getting members to work with us but we will see what we can do about it.

So our area seems pretty good to me. There are some areas with nicer houses and things like that. I met a lot of new people but can't remember all their names. One good one was an OYM that we had. It was two guys, One is a security guard and the other doesn't have a job. But they were really receptive to the restoration and we invited them to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. I am excited to see if they follow through.

I am pretty sure that I left my camera in my room or something. I may have lost it in my luggage but I don't think so. It is in a blue case. So if you could look around the house to see if I forgot that it would be great. I am a little hesitant to carry a nice camera in this area.

Well, that is all I have got for now. It feels strange to be back here but I am excited to serve!! I still need to get all the way back into missionary mode but that won't take long.

Love,
Elder Schroeder

P.S Apparently I am famous in the mission. People know my name. I hope that's a good thing and not a bad thing. I hardly know anyone, and after the next two transfers pretty much everyone that I know in the mission will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment