Monday, July 1, 2013

Mabuhay!

Mabuhay and Philippines! (kind of like "go Philippines!/ greetings")

It is great to know that you enjoy my emails. I have been able to learn so much here about being a leader and a missionary. Using the spirit in teaching a preparation is such a key thing. Without the spirit, there is no way that we can teach effectively as missionaries (or even find the people we are looking for). Which reminds me. Proselyting Wednesday! It is so so incredibly hard to find people here in the Philippines, especially in the squatter areas. The houses are just make shift concrete blocks and sheet metal. The alleyways, to get to houses are like my shoulder width or smaller. There are no addresses anywhere and there are street named that are about as definable as an invisible pen. It makes it impossible to find anyone in the city because the squatters are always moving or out of town. People come here to work and just move into a vacant house. Anyways, I was able to be a group leader for our proselyting activity. Elder Maile and I were with an Elder Latu ( a zone leader who had been out for a year that day). He taught us so much about how to be a successful missionary with our companions and with the work. One great experience was with Elder Maile this week. He had been feeling really sick the past couple days before proselyting, but he prayed for strength. He was given strength at the very hour he needed it and has felt much better since. It is amazing to see the Lord's hand actively involved in the work. We really worked hard to find someone to teach on Wednesday during our proselyting activity, but we couldn't find anyone. Elder Latu was really disappointed that we weren't able to find anyone to teach, but Elder Maile and I cheered him up. Then he taught us a lot on how to be a more successful missionary during our activity review. Some of the things he shared were: Our afflictions will be but a small moment, the Lord will give us what we need when we need it, to trust the Lord with the language, to use the gifts that you have been given, and to have fun within the boundaries prescribed. He also emphasized companionship unity and to be a decisive missionary. I found a lot of scriptures on what he said, but I don't remember all of them, and I don't have my scriptures with me. But is is great to see how what he taught us connects directly to the scriptures. Ive got to go now. But for Dad, I saw about 8-10 old super beetles on a road we walked on today, which made me think of him. Haha, best of luck with the VW. Have fun on Catalina! I pray for you guys every night! Next time I email you I will be out in the field!!! So excited!

Mahal,
Elder Schroeder

p.s. I will send the email I sent to Kyle to you guys, cause there is some good stuff in that too.  I learned this crazy one word yesterday. "nakakapagpabagabag" - it means "what is bothering you?

Here is the letter to his brother in The West Indies Mission:

Mabuhay and Philippines ang Trinidad! (Kind of like a greeting/go Philippines and Trinidad!)
It really sounds like you are learning a lot about following the Spirit in your teaching. I have really been trying to incorporate that into my teaching and preparation. I have found that, since I am trying to express my feelings in a language I barely even know, it is really really difficult to focus on the spirit or to even feel it. Though, I have been getting a lot more comfortable with the language and I am not afraid to mess up (cause I know it will happen regardless). So I am doing a lot better at focusing on the Spirit in my lessons. I can definitely feel the Spirit directing me in everything I do here. I have found that I am much more in tune to the spirit than a lot of Elders and sisters that are here right now. I feel the spirit so strong as I pray and ponder about my investigators (even though they are all role plays). Just yesterday, as we were praying before a planning session I felt the Spirit so strongly telling me what it was that we needed to teach a sister to commit her to a baptismal date. And it happened! We taught with the POWER and AUTHORITY of God and she committed to a date. It is so exciting to feel the Spirit testify while you are teaching. I cannot wait for that experience in the field with a real investigator. I know it will help me so much when I get out into the field on WEDNESDAY!!!!! I will not know the language well at all... but ANYONE can feel the language of the SPIRIT. So excited! I am nervous for the language but I know it will come eventually. My testimony has grown so much here and I have been a light to those around me. I love everyone here and I really work hard to help them know that. All the other district leaders come to me for advice when they are having a hard time in their district. The other day, a district leader asked if I could come into his district and give them a "motivational talk" to them... That sure surprised me. Instead of doing this for him, I shared with him a few scriptures that I felt (and the spirit felt) would help him motivate his district. It is great to be able to share leadership roles with others around me and is very humbling at times. Cause at home, I could almost always think of a solution, but a mission is much different. I am learning how to be a leader and a missionary in ways I never have though of. A mission is a humbling experience and I know there is so much to learn. I can't wait to grow and come closer to the Savior and His teachings. I love you so much Kyle! For your example and your love for the work. This truly is a divine work directed by the Lord.
Ingat po ka palagi!
Elder Schroeder

No comments:

Post a Comment