Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Atonement is the Bridge..

2/7/16 
Hello Family!

This week has been a great week! We were able to get a lot done. We had several zone interviews and training that we gave, MLC, and all the other missionary work that we do. We had 5 investigators at church on Sunday. 3 of them are a family and have gone to church 2 weeks now! Elder Burgos and I are excited for them... except Elder Burgos is going home a week from tomorrow, so he wont get to see it. 

Also, one thing that is pretty cool. A recent convert of Taylor's is going to visit me at church in a few weeks. Her name is Krista, I don't know if grandma told you about her. I will be sure to take a picture so taylor can see that I met her. That should be pretty cool.

I am pretty sure that my going home date is the 28th. If not the 28th then it will be the 13th. So either way it will work out. I am going to ask president in my next interview with him (which will be in a few weeks). 

Yes, we had MLC this last week. The picture of Elder Fawson and Lindaya is from last tranfer... actually maybe 2 transfers ago... but Elder Lindaya (the filipino) is training Elder Fawson who is 6'8". That was actually really funny when President assigned them to be companions... Everyone in the room was laughing because Elder Linday went to hug his "son" and said "paano ito" which basically means "how is this going to work" (referring to the hug). ha I hope that makes sense...

As for the package... I am not sure... definitely some beef jerky... I don't know what else... I guess i will have to think about it.... maybe cake mix? it is super expensive here.. some nice chocolate cake maybe. maybe a nice tie. not sure. Ask Kyle maybe what he would like in a package.

No, I did not get mugged. 

Who is in the super bowl???

I will be sure to pray for Joy's mom. I hope she gets better. She has been fighting hard. I hope joy is doing well.

So the work in our area is going really well. We were able to help a sister this week to do some family history and print off a family name, so I am really excited for her to be able to take that family name and go to the temple with it. It was like pulling teeth to get it done, but now she is really excited to be able to do the grandfathers baptism.

I am nervous for Elder Burgos to go home. If anything goes wrong after that then it is my fault because I will be the senior Assistant. It will all work out though. It always does.
A new Senior Couple also arrived this week from Long Beach. They are Filipino and are some of the pioneer members here in the Philippines. They are assigned to work in one of my old wards, Makati 1st. They are two really great people, and super nice. His brother is an area seventy and his niece actually served her mission here when I was here. I just found out this week that she is getting married. I met her boyfriend a few weeks ago in the office actually when she came in to visit with President Ostler. It is really great to have the Addurus here with us. He was the first in his family to convert and now there are over 150 of them that are members. 

Well here is my spiritual insight for the week. 
This comes from MLC. One of our jobs is to write up MLC notes (basically everything that is said in the meeting, or at least the important parts) and to send it out to the leaders in the mission. So here is one part of President Ostlers Closing remarks that I feel impressed to share.
"We have a Heavenly Father who is a God of justice. (Justice is unchangeable law that brings consequences for our actions). For every action, there is a consequence. Since no unclean thing can dwell with God, we would never be able to make it to exaltation; however, God is not only just but also merciful. Mercy is to receive something that we do not deserve. Mercy is something we do not earn, but we receive because of love. Justice and mercy cannot coincide without something to bind them together.

 The Atonement is what binds Justice and Mercy in a way that fulfills both the demands of justice and the pleas of mercy. “With the Savior, we have the bridge. He pays the price. He allows God to be merciful” (President Ostler). 
It is our Father’s plan, and Christ was the one willing to do it. Without him we would be helpless to return to our Heavenly Father.

Alma 42:14-15, 24

            14 And thus we see that all mankind were fallen, and theywere in the grasp of justice; yea, the justice of God, which consigned them forever to be cut off from his presence.

            15 And now, the plan of mercy could not be broughtabout except an atonement should be made; therefore Godhimself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring aboutthe plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, thatGod might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also

            24 For behold, justice exerciseth all his demands, and alsomercy claimeth all which is her own; and thus, none but the truly penitent are saved.

Repentance is what brings us across the bridge. Our investigators must show by their actions that they are willing to cross the bridge. We have a loving Heavenly Father and Savior. I know that he lives, and the Book of Mormon opens the windows to this and makes it clearer than ever before."

And attached is a small illustration that goes along with the remarks.

I love you all!

Elder Schroeder

p.s. there is a joke here in the mission. Hymn number 252 is now called "Put Your Schroeder to the Wheel"

No comments:

Post a Comment